Thursday, November 4, 2010

Take a deep breath

"I just don't have fun being a Christian"! Wow how many times I have heard that said, at times I myself have said that. People say to me all the time, its just not fair that when I wasn't a Christian I used to have so much fun but now that I am a christian things are sooo boring.
My reply is you're absolutely right, I have no argument to counter that point.
Now you might be saying why would I say something to the effect? Reason is simple, because its the truth at least in what the world defines as fun.
Here's a point I want you to hear. "Christian" fun can never compete with the worlds fun. That is an absolute truth. The reason being is that there is no limits, no boundaries, nothing is off limits. How can a person, a Christian compete with such things? It's impossible, really!
If you call your self a Christian and your life has been changed, the old is gone and the new has come, look back at the so called "fun" you used to have. Was it really that fun? Really? How many people do I meet that tell me about their so called fun but yet they are so very empty. If it was so much fun wouldn't there be some kind of joy that would come out of it all rather than remorse and emptiness?
The past three weeks I have spoken in roughly 22 schools. I have seen close to 50,000 Jr High and High School students. I wish at time that I could just walk into the school do a presentation and simply walk out, but that's not how it works, or maybe I should say that's not how I work. I have heard many a story of kids whose lives have been already broken by the so called fun of the world. They have either made the wrong choices or they are the result of someone else making them. Bottom line is that the fun they thought they would have turned out not to be so fun.
Now back to the Christian aspect of it all. Once a person comes to Christ their life is called out, literally. He has called us out of the world and the darkness that we once lived in. He has placed His Spirit inside of us to be led, guided and directed by. To follow or should I say to continue to follow after the things of this world will only lead right back to where we started.
Also seriously look at that so called fun you once had. If your looking at it going, hmm that wasn't so bad may I say this to you. I want you to get up from where you are seated reading this. I want you to walk over to the nearest wall, cement block is preferable, I then want you to put both your hands behind your head, take a deep breath then slam your head off that wall!
See your doing exactly what has trapped many a Christian, and that is thinking that that old life really wasn't that bad, nor was your life. Scripture says that we should never return to our former lives. It says that dogs return to eat their own vomit, but we shouldn't. I don't know about you but for me, vomit isn't on my most favorite menu item.
One final thought, I have been a Christian for 36 years and I must say that I have had a life full of fun. The fun I have had has been the joy and excitement I have received by serving the one who has saved me. If your looking for the fun that leaves you empty then by all means head back out into that world they're waiting for you. On the other hand if your looking for the fun that comes from following Christ, then come on in jump in with both feet.
Bottom line as I see it-it's you're choice-choose wisely!


No comments:

Post a Comment